Understanding Government Grants for Distance Learning Educational Programs

If you’re thinking about going back to college through a distance learning program to earn a higher degree but you aren’t sure how to pay for it then you should seriously consider applying for a federal grant. The reason for applying this is simple; grants are essentially free money given out by the government for the express intent of helping serious students pay for their education.

Not only is it free money but there is a lot of it available. Every year the US Department of Education gives out around 67 billion dollars to millions of students in the form of grants, loans, and other types of financial aid. But unlike loans federal grants do not need to be paid back.

The idea behind the grant system is to give people a chance to earn a higher degree when they might not have been able to attend a distance learning college because of financial limitations. The grant system is largely based on financial need but all applicants also need to show that they are serious about obtaining that degree. People who are not serious about their education need not apply.

There are a variety of different grants that a student can apply for. The most well known are the Federal Pell Grants. The amount a student will receive will depend on whether or not they are full-time or part-time students. For 2011-2012 the maximums have been set at $5,550 for full-time and $2,775 for part-time attendance. There are other factors that can determine how much a student gets that may include the cost of tuition and financial need.

There are also campus-based grant programs that are administered by each universities financial aid office. Two such programs are the Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) and the Federal Work Study (FWS) programs. Each schools financial aid office is responsible for distributing the funds from these programs to the students they feel deserve grant assistance.

To be eligible for any educational government grant you will need to have at the least either a high school diploma or a GED certificate (General Education Development). You can also take and pass a test that meets certain Department of Education criteria to qualify for these aid assistance programs. You also need to be a U.S. citizen or qualified non-citizen with a valid social security number. U.S. citizens also need to be registered with the Selective Service.

When applying for any federal aid assistance program the first thing a student needs to do is submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid otherwise known as the FAFSA. The FAFSA website will guide you through the application process. You can find it at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. Completing this application will help determine what grants, loans, and scholarships a student may be eligible for and how much they can receive. In many cases private grant foundations require a FAFSA be completed before determining grant recipients.

The best place to get help when looking for government grants to help pay for a distance learning program is the financial aid office of the college or university the student will be attending. A good financial aid officer will get the student pointed in the right direction, help them identify grants and financial aid opportunities, and navigate them through the application process.

Chances of receiving some sort of financial aid are good when one considers that nearly half of all college students are receiving some sort of financial aid to pay for their school. It just takes a good plan and attention to the details and you will find the government grant you need.

Golf Course Types by Ownership

One of the things that a newcomer to the World of golf would probably like to know is what the difference is between different types of golf course. This question is more complicated than you may first imagine as there are really three different ways to express what category a particular golf course fits into.

The first is by setting and categories a course by whether it is set in heathland, woodland or by the ocean etc. The second type is by length, where the course is categorized essentially by the length of time it takes to play a round, so these types will be pitch & putt, full length or executive, so called because executives may not have time to play a round on a full length course of 18 holes. Most executive courses are only 9 holes.

In this article though we are going to look at how golf courses can be categorized by ownership. The above two types of categorization allow you to know what to expect when you turn up to play. However, this third type of categorization determines whether or not you will be allowed access to the course at all.

The following is not an exhaustive list of course types but these are the most popular types of course that you might come across.

Private Golf Courses are courses which are owned by a golf club and they only allow play by members of the club. If you aren’t a member of the club then you can’t play, unless of course you are lucky enough to be invited to play by someone who is already a member.

Public Golf Courses can be courses owned by private organizations or individuals or by other organizations such as local businesses. The key here is that the owner charges a fee for playing. Essentially this means that the course is open to be played by anyone who can afford to pay the fee.

Courses also exist which are essentially a combination of the above two. Club members can play at any time. The public are allowed to play but usually only on specific days of the week, or times of day.

Municipal golf course are owned by the local government. They operate like public golf courses but the money paid for the green fees goes to the them as opposed to a private individual or company.

Some residential areas have their own golf course which is designed to be played by the local residents only. They tend to be run by the community itself and as such are not open to the public.

Finally there is the resort golf course. Resort golf courses are owned and operated by a holiday resort or a hotel chain for the pleasure of their guests. Play may not be restricted to resort guests however, and so you may find some resort courses are open to the public in return for a fee.

Six Types of Deductible Continuing Education

In this article we would like to talk about continuing your education as a business professional. There are many things you can do to learn more about your trade, and many of them are also tax deductible, so they can save you money in the long run. So let’s talk about six types of continuing education that are deductible on your taxes.

1. College classes. Taking college classes to improve or maintain your business is tax deductible for your business. The cost of tuition, books, class fees, materials and supplies, and the gas or mileage to get there are all deductible.

2. Seminars. Throughout the year there are many seminars put on by many different organizations on many topics. Most of them charge a fee to attend. Some give credit if your type of professional license requires it and some do not. But regardless of whether credit is given or not, if it is a seminar about something that can help you as a business owner, it is considered continuing education. The fees to attend and travel expenses are all deductible.

3. Trade shows. A trade show is a show that has vendors with products and services that can help your business. The most common trade shows are in the construction industry, but there are many other types of trades and businesses that have them. Attending these shows helps you to keep updated on current products that can be helpful to your business. Again the entrance fees and travel expenses are deductible.

4. Vendor sponsored events. Businesses you work with or purchase product from sometimes sponsor events. Sometimes they are to promote their product or service and sometimes they are just helpful events to get you to like them. Either way the goal of the event is to teach you something. These events are often fun as well as informative, but they are still considered continuing education and the same things are deductible.

5. Conferences. As accountants, we attend a conference sponsored by the IRS every year in order to obtain credits to keep our license current. This conference is never closer than 600 miles away. They have them all over the country, so we always choose the one that is the most convenient for us. There are many types of conferences for many types of businesses. Conferences generally have classes you can attend about various subjects pertinent to your profession. They also often have a banquet and networking sessions to help you connect with others. Sometimes there are even sightseeing excursions you can take advantage of. Conferences can be both informative as well as fun and definitely fall into the continuing education category. Many people take their families with them and do fun things in the evenings or in between conference sessions.

6. Educational events you sponsor for your employees. It is important to keep your employees educated and informed as well as keeping moral up. Many companies hold events for their employees for those purposes. Some have a weekend retreat and some go on a cruise. The most important thing about this is to have some sort of training experience while at the event. Anything the company pays for such as transportation, food, lodging, or educational materials is tax deductible for the business. Anything the employee pays for is deductible to the employee.